Chris Dessi tells us how he realized he needed to build his personal brand, how he did it, and how you can start.
Whether you know it or not, in today’s technology- and social media-driven world, everyone has a personal brand, positive or negative. Just Google yourself to see what your online personal brand looks like to others.
You need to be aware of your personal brand and build it.
Our guest for today’s episode, Chris Dessi, Founder and CEO of Silverback Social, personal branding expert, author, and keynote speaker, tells us how to do it.
Chris talks about how important building your personal brand is, and how getting fired from Buddy Media for no reason led him to evaluate what he wanted from his career and start building his brand.
He talks about his two new books – Remarkable You: Build a Personal Brand and Take Charge of Your Career and Just Like You: 24 Interviews of Ordinary People Who’ve Achieved Extraordinary Success – and how they can help you realize your superpower and reach your potential.
And he tells us amazingly inspiring stories about the tremendous influence his father, who passed away from ALS, has had on his life and career.
This conversation literally brought tears to my eyes, so don’t miss it.
In this episode, you’ll learn from Chris:
- How getting fired from his job at Buddy Media opened his eyes to the importance of building his personal brand and how that event still drives him everyday as an entrepreneur.
- Why you need to start building your personal brand right now, and how.
- How to identify your superpower – the one thing that separates you from everyone else.
- The exact steps you need to take to launch your blog in 15 minutes.
- Some of the key tenets of success he’s learned from his interviews with 24 extraordinary entrepreneurs.
- The huge inspiration his father has been to his career and life.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Book in a Box
- The Startup Playbook by David Kidder
- The Quaz by Jeff Perlman
- Hemingway App
- Chris’ new book – Remarkable You: Build a Personal Brand and Take Charge of Your Career
- Chris’ new ebook – Just Like You: 24 Interviews of Ordinary People Who’ve Achieved Extraordinary Success
Answers to Quickfire Q&A:
- If you could chat with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- His father, Adrian Dessi.
- Name a tool, app, or website that you can’t live without and why.
- Tell us something unique and interesting about you that not many may know.
- Chris was slated to run the NYC Marathon in 2012 and raised money for the ALS Association to honor his father. Hurricane Sandy hit and the marathon was canceled, but Chris ran 26.2 miles in his hometown anyway. Wow.
- What are the top three skills or characteristics that you look for in people you work with?
- A phenomenal attitude and outlook on life
- An even temperament
- Understanding that work isn’t the end-all-be-all
- What is something you believe, but few others agree with you?
- There is something remarkable in every human being. Many people don’t believe this about themselves.
How to contact Chris
Thanks for listening!
We appreciate you spending your valuable time with us!
If you enjoyed this episode, and we hope you did, please share it using the social media buttons to the left.
Also, please leave a rating and review on iTunes and Stitcher. It will help others like you discover the show more easily, and we’d be really grateful! If you’re not sure how to submit a rating and review on iTunes, check out this blog post for instructions.
If you have any comments or questions, feel free to post them in the Comments section below or email me.
Thanks again for listening and now go and grow your business!